Thursday, May 25, 2006

White Plant Room

I'm trying to take the time and effort I've put into ballpoint pen doodling and plow it back into paintings. My recent paintings prior to now have been still lifes (see above, approx. 7x12", oil on linen, 2004). I have under my belt a lot of paintings, drawings, etchings, silkscreens, and lithographs from 1979-1981, when I got a BFA from KU, and spent a semester at University Of South Florida. I intend to show some of those here in an upcoming look at the past. But it was a long time ago. I have sold drawings and paintings in the past, but not enough! My work was painterly-abstract in 1979, and then moved in a Dada/Pop direction in 1980. Then, for 25 years, my creative efforts were devoted to electronic music, and my interest there is still very strong.

Now I'm back to easel paintings, using oil on gessoed linen canvas or burlap.

I also doodle all the time, and my preferred medium is blue ballpoint on bond paper, because it's pretty much frictionless (and therefore very fast), and you can't erase it. I'll try to post some of these next time. I am experimenting with capturing that look on canvas.

And I also doodle in MS Paint. I've tried to capture the look below on canvas, to no avail. I would need a 3" brush and instant-drying paint:

I'm going to post some paintings based directly on doodles next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home